Mental health and emotional health are just as important as physical health. Luckily, more and more people are becoming aware of this fact. Keeping the mind sound is something that you should always prioritize. As such, taking extra steps to ensure your emotional and mental health is necessary.
Many things can take a toll on these aspects, however. That is especially true for the youth, with school bringing a lot of pressure and stress. There are ways to prevent the negative impacts of these things on mental and emotional health. Practicing these will definitely benefit you in the long run.
The Benefits of Staying Mentally and Emotionally Well
Staying mentally and emotionally well doesn’t just benefit how you think. Good mental and emotional health can affect the different parts of your life. A healthy mind can significantly benefit you and the people around you. Some of these benefits include the following:
- You become more resilient: Emotionally healthy people become more resilient to stress and everyday problems. These people know how to manage negativity and maintain their emotional stability.
- You feel more energized: Everyone gets the feeling of tiredness and being emotionally drained when something terrible happens. Prioritizing emotional health, however, can help manage feelings of being drained.
- You can form excellent relationships with others: People who are mentally and emotionally healthy are usually more open about themselves. It allows them to form great bonds with other people.
- Physical health benefits: It has been proven time and again that mental health and emotional health are linked to physical health. A healthy mind can massively affect the body. Cardiovascular benefits and lower physical stress are just some of these benefits.
- You can positively affect the people around you: When people who are emotionally drained surrounded you, the negativity rubs off on you. That is also true if you surround yourself with people who are mentally and emotionally healthy. If you are one of these people, then you may have a positive effect on the people around you.
Things to Watch Out For
A significant number of people are affected by mental and emotional health issues. Unfortunately, many of them are not even aware that they already have these afflictions. Many of these issues can creep up when a person least expects it. Thus, it’s essential to be mindful of things to watch out for in relation to mental health disorders.
The presence of many of these signs may, at times, indicate an underlying problem. Some of the things to watch out for regarding mental and emotional issues are the following:
- Intrusive thoughts and memories: These involve difficulty in managing negative thoughts and bad memories.
- A constant feeling of dread and fear: Some people experience constant fear that is hard to get rid of. That can be a sign of an underlying problem.
- Sudden changes in mood: It is normal to have mood changes. However, constant and unstable mood patterns can also be a sign of something problematic.
- Excessive negative emotions: Anger, sadness, and fear are all perfectly normal emotions. Very high amounts of these can have a negative effect on mental health.
- Appetite and sleep changes: A symptom of many mental health disorders is a change in sleeping patterns and appetite.
- Physical manifestations: Mental and emotional health disorders can also bring about changes in the body. Examples include palpitations, high blood pressure, dizziness, nausea, and more.
Of course, it’s normal to have some of these signs depending on our current state. However, if these linger for too long or become uncontrollable, then you may need to see a counsellor. Doing so can prevent further complications.
12 Ways of Staying Mentally and Emotionally Well in the Summer
Your mental and emotional health should always be a priority. These are things that can affect all aspects of your life. Thankfully, there are many ways of keeping yourself healthy. That is especially true during the summer. Here are 12 ways of staying mentally and emotionally well in the summer:
1. Go out for a stroll when you’re stressed
Stress is one of the biggest blocks to mental health. Everyone experiences stress from time to time, but some people get exposed to stress in spades. If you’re feeling mentally or emotionally drained, go out for a stroll under the summer sun. The mood-boosting effect of a summer stroll is not just psychological; it affects your biology, too.
Studies show that sunlight can have a beneficial effect on your emotional health. It happens because sunlight triggers your brain to release certain hormones that can positively affect your mood.
2. Do some summertime activities
While you’re at it, why not go all the way and not just go out for a stroll? There are many summertime activities that you can do to keep yourself occupied. Learn a new sport, go to the park, take your dog for a long walk, or hike. All these can benefit your mental and emotional health. What’s more, it also keeps you moving and can benefit your physical health.
3. Go out and connect with your friends
One of the best ways of keeping your mind healthy is by forming bonds with people. Summer is an excellent time of doing so with your friends. The great weather provides a conducive mood for going out with friends. Spending time with them can help you form meaningful connections that can emotionally benefit all of you.
4. Visit a park, enjoy the sunshine, and meditate
Various studies show that meditation is a great way of improving your emotional health. You can do this pretty much anywhere that you feel safe and calm. Since it’s summer, why not try meditating under the beautiful summer sun? You may even find a new favourite spot for meditating.
5. Take some time to rest
The academic year tends to bring a lot of stress to students. The summer vacation is a very welcome break from all the stress of school. Take this time to rest and relax. Prepare your mind for the new academic year ahead, and you’ll find yourself more stable when school comes.
6. Get some exercise
We’ve mentioned earlier that physical health can significantly benefit your mental and emotional health. There’s no better way of keeping yourself physically healthy than exercising. Summer brings with it an excellent climate that is conducive to exercising. Grab this opportunity to go out for your daily run under the sun.
7. Eat healthily
Equally important in maintaining physical health is eating healthy. The food that you eat directly impacts your physical health. Make sure that you watch what you eat. Having a cheat day where you take a break from eating healthy is perfectly fine. Just don’t overdo it!
8. Stress management
Learning how to manage stress is something that everyone should do. Good stress management skills can help reduce the emotional strain that everyday problems may bring. Fortunately, all the things we have on this list can help you manage stress. Follow these, and you’re a step closer to managing stress properly.
9. Keep a positive mindset
Keeping a positive mindset can be quite tricky when you are faced with problems. However, a good outlook on the world can really help. Try to see the good in a bad situation. Always know that things will get better in the end. Maintaining these mindsets can help you get through bad times.
10. Find a hobby or new pastime
The summer vacation gives you a lot of free time. There’s no better way to stay occupied than by doing something fun. Try finding a new hobby or pastime. Hobbies can have a positive effect on mental health. Finding shared hobbies with other people also lets you forge good connections with them. The benefits of getting a hobby on your mental and emotional health are too significant to ignore.
Travelling and seeing new places is also a great way of de-stressing. There’s no better time to travel than during the summer. Plan a trip with your family and friends and see that place that you have always wanted to visit.
12. See a therapist
Finally, if you feel that stress is getting too much for you to bear, then see a therapist. Therapy can provide you with a safe place to discuss issues. It is an excellent way of keeping yourself mentally and emotionally healthy.
Therapy also isn’t just for people that are facing problems. It’s also a great way of release, even when you’re just experiencing everyday stress. It can benefit you in the long run.
Counselling is an excellent way of staying mentally and emotionally well
Counselling is a proven method of staying mentally and emotionally healthy. It’s also not just for those that are facing problems. Everyone can stand to benefit from counselling.
Contact us today to schedule an appointment for youth counselling in Ottawa. Our therapists are highly experienced in making sure that our clients’ mental and emotional health is well maintained.